My work with you is mostly behind-the-scenes. While in some cases I can and will accompany you to your child’s PPT or 504 Plan meeting, oftentimes it is unnecessary. You will be empowered with the tools necessary to effectively make your child’s situation understood. The goal is to build a partnership with the school system and develop an educational plan that will help your child become the best adult they can be.
During an initial phone call we will review your child’s current situation and consider the best ways for us to work together. There is no charge for this first consultation.
- We’ll meet in-person, by Skype or over the phone and discuss your child’s current social, behavioral/emotional, and academic situation. I’ll also read clinical reports and school records.
- After identifying the problems we’ll create a plan: what is needed to help your child meet his/her/their potential?
- I will help you formulate your message, or your ask. This may include presenting a story to help illustrate the current circumstances; a request for testing or additional in-school supports; a change of school placement; or something else all together.
- We will prepare needed documents: an email, talking points, summary of facts – whatever is needed to most effectively convey your child’s story to the people who need to hear it. I will provide coaching to support you so that you feel prepared and confident in your interactions with the school district.
- After the meeting we will regroup and develop next steps.
I can also offer additional supports. Documentation and organization of school records; Coaching on how and what to do during the PPT or 504 meeting; In Connecticut, recommendations on appropriate community support services and schools.